Saturday, May 1, 2010

Today is a day.

Home for the summer. I have been home about 10 days now and as much as I love it I'm feeling about ready to head back to Provo, which has come to feel more like home. Its not surprising, really. When you live somewhere 8 months out of the year its bound to feel more like home than somewhere you spend 4 months a year. The only thing that keeps Idaho Falls feeling a little homey is being with my family. Which, of course, is what home is all about. I love my family. We're not perfect, we argue and sometimes don't really like each other very much. But we're a family and we always know that. We make each other laugh. I have not laughed so hard in a long long time. My little brother just cracks me up to no end! His sense of humor appeals to my humor-sensors and we laugh until we cry.


I have been having a hard hard time lately. Just with things. Life in general really. It its not pleasant to think about. I have not been myself. Something is off, something that makes me feel out of control, completely incapable and, the worst part: utterly unconcerned about the whole thing. I have always cared so so much about school, grades, achievement... not so much lately. And I don't mean it in a "I have finally realized there is more to life than school" kind of way. More of a "Why do I even try?" kind of way. Bad. I talked to my mom about it and we are going to try to find a solution.

Now, I have always been financially careful. I was never one to spend spend spend. It was always save save save. I still am that way, its part of my cautious, careful attitude in general. But, my mom suggested I read Dave Ramsey's The Total Money Makeover-- A Proven Plan For Financial Fitness. I was skeptical at first, I don't have debt and I have always been very adamant that I will never have debt. Why would I need to read about about a 'Money Makeover' when my finances are in good shape already?? Well, I gave into my mother's insistence and am currently reading the book. It's about 220 pages but I started this morning and am about 3/4 of the way through it--definitely a quick read. Its true that this book was written primarily for couples and families struggling with credit card (or other varieties) of debt, BUT it has a lot of good tips for people just like me. Its a huge advantage to read a book like this as a single young adult with no family and few expenses. I have no debt and now I feel like I have the tools necessary to make sure it stays like that. I don't need to take a loan out to buy a car. Just save up and pay cash. I firmly believe that. I will graduate with no student loans. I don't need credit cards. Financial fitness, as Ramsey puts it, is a lifestyle. It is a frame of mind. It is all encompassing and does not just belong in your checkbook or on your budget. In fact, if that is the only place you pause to consider your financial well being then you're in trouble. I would advise everyone to check it out. No matter what your current financial situation, its never too early or too late to start on a healthy financial path.


I recently signed up for my first gym membership. $9.99 a month and no commitment. Perfect for my four months of summer. It kind of annoys me that I must buy a membership when I know that I could easily workout outside in the sunshine, but I do much better and consistently working out when I am in a gym full of hard working people. I struggle finding the motivation to work hard for a long period of time. I need things to push me, and short of hiring a personal trainer, the gym is the best option... especially after I make my sister sign up too and come with me.


I am trying to be excited for summer. Maybe if the sun would start shinning I would have a better attitude about it. I was excited. Now I am not. I just want to go back to school and get on with my life. I feel like being home, not taking classes, is such a waste of time. I think I'll take spring/summer classes next year. Or, better yet, have an internship with a company that could hire me after graduation.


I have been single for a long time. Almost a whole year. It has been that long since I have had a boy friend and that long since I have kissed someone. Its been an awful long time. I said the other day to a friend, "I am pretty sure I can re-instate my virgin lip status, its been so long." My thoughts are similar to the thoughts expressed in this blog up until the point where she does indeed kiss a new boy. Jealous.


But just incase I never kiss anyone ever again....

When I graduate from college I am going to buy a dog. A German Shepherd to be exact. This dog and I will travel around in my truck. A Chevy Avalanche to be exact. My dog, truck and I are going to be living the life. Trips to the park where we play frisbee and flirt with other dog owners (of the single, adult male variety). Weekend camping trips with friends and their dogs. It will be lovely.


TRUCK:


DOG:

Those two things are almost as good as a husband :)

THE END

No comments:

Post a Comment