Sunday, July 29, 2012

Doing it Wright ;)

This is what my classroom looks like right now.
I haven't done a thing to it yet; the ugly decorations are not my fault.
I'll post pictures when it's educational and comfortable. 
"I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul." 


This is the theme for my classroom this year. I want to integrate poetry and history throughout everything we do, so we will be addressing the poem, "Invictus," from which this line is taken, throughout the first semester.


 I am capitalizing on the word 'captain' and have chosen to use a nautical scheme. It'll be cute. >>>>> See! >>>>


But that's not the primary idea. The over arching culture I want in my classroom is one of self determination. Self-Determination Theory is a theory of motivation. It is concerned with supporting our natural or intrinsic tendencies to behave in effective and healthy ways. I am definitely not a psychology major, but I want my students to believe in their own ability to dictate their success in class, in relationships, and in life. 




I have been reading Rafe Esquith's "Teach Like Your Hair's on Fire." (It is AMAZING! I definitely recommend all teachers read the book.) Chapter two of his book is titled, 'Searching for Level VI.' This chapter is all about Lawrence Kohlberg's Six Levels of Moral Development. It is a fascinating chapter and is very involved.  I remembered learning about the levels of moral development in one of my Human Cogitative Development classes in college, and really appreciated the way Esquith outlines the development in this chapter. Essentially, there are six levels of moral development (go figure ;), six reasons we follow rules/law/social expectations. 




Level 1. I don't want to get in trouble
Level 2. I want a reward
Level 3. I want to please somebody
Level 4. I follow the rules
Level 5. I am considerate of other people
Level 6. I have a personal code of behavior and I follow it

I believe there is a general evolution that humans follow in moral development, I don't remember what it is. But, most classrooms, and therefore, children, are stuck in levels 1 and 2. We have intricate behavior management systems that punish bad behavior and reward good behavior. I do too; There is no way I could control my classroom without one, but it is my goal as a professional educator to help my students advance in this moral development. I want my students to do the right thing because they are the kind of people who do the right thing, inside and outside of my classroom. 

Let me frame it a bit better (though I am simplifying it dramatically). This is how it was explained to me. Take, for example, the concept of the Speed Limit. 

I do not speed because: 
1. I don't want to get a ticket
2.  (I don't know what reward there could be for not speeding, perhaps decreased insurance costs as a result of 'safe driving.')
3. (Who can you please by not speeding? Idk.)
4. It is the law
5. I could hurt someone if I am reckless.
6. It is the right thing to do, and I always try to do the right thing. That is what I do, that is who I am.

You get the idea. 

In a classroom it looks like this. 

I raise my hand before I give an answer because:
1. I don't want to get my clip moved (on a clip behavior tracker for example.)
2. I want classroom cash.
3. I want Ms. Hansen/my parents to be proud of me
4. It is written on our classroom rules poster.
5. I want everyone to have a chance to participate
6. It is the right thing to do, and I always try to do the right thing. That is what I do, that is who I am.

I am going to have consequences and I'm going to have classroom cash, like I said earlier, I am not experienced enough to maintain control over 20+ 9 year-olds without incentives, and they are children, it will be a learning process. But, I hope by the end of the year my students will behave, work hard, dream, and take care of others at least because they care for those around them (and themselves), and don't want to hurt other people, if not because of their own internal moral compass. 

Why? Because I only have them for 8 months(ish), for about 6 hours a day, 5 days a week. That's it. After that they move on to 5th grade, then middle school, high school, college, and real life. What they learn academically in 4th grade is amazingly important and I am going to work my heart out to make sure they are learning everything they need to, but what is more important is what they believe about themselves as they leave 4th grade. 

"I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul."


No comments:

Post a Comment