I love my roommate. She makes me think, and I really appreciate that in a person.
We all know how I feel about pornography.
I see it everywhere, and my roomie told me that in the last two months that we've been living together she has changed a bit in the way she looks at some of the media. She's simply more aware. That is EXACTLY what I mean. Once you have an awareness of what actors/characters/musicians/etc. are saying you begin to see that it is not all as carefree as you used to think it was. I said, "Once you have an awareness, you have an accountability to act differently." It's so true! It reminded her of something she'd heard from a wonderful gentleman MK Asante: "When you make an observation, you have an obligation." Amen. Amen. and Amen. We can not just increase our awareness, or make more observations, without acting differently based on our increase in knowledge.
The lyrics are offensive: don't listen.
The ad is objectifying: don't buy it.
The magazine is stereotyping: don't read it.
Awareness = Action
No comments:
Post a Comment