I've been driving a 1995 Honda Civic coupe since I was about 17. We purchased it from my grandma in 2007.
It's old. It's ugly. It is the most reliable car I've ever known anyone to have.
I drove it from Idaho home to my current Tulsa home (approx 1,200 miles).
It is cracked, scratched, broken, and rusted.
It has manual windows, locks, and seats.
The AC works great.
The radio/speakers don't work. at all.
It has a cassette player that is unusable.
It gets great gas mileage.
About a week ago I was in an accident, not horrible or anything (no one was hurt).
I haven't heard from the collision shop yet, but I imagine the news won't be good. It wasn't obviously totaled, but there was pretty significant body damage, and the gentleman who's wife was also involved in the accident, said there it looked like the wheel was bent (from sliding sideways a good distance on the shoulder of the road).
That car was probably worth around $700... for parts and scraps. No one in their right mind would buy it to drive it.
If I have to put more than $100 dollars into it for repairs [and I likely will], I think it makes more sense to purchase a new car.
I was planning on saving for another 6 months, then making this purchase, but it may have to happen sooner.
So... these last couple days I've done a lot of research, and my kind and knowledgeable boyfriend has helped me consider my options. We've walked around 7 dealerships, while they were closed: a FANTASTIC idea! I really appreciated being able to look and form opinions without pushy salesmen!)
We've been to 2 small used car dealerships, a CARMAX, a Honda, a Ford, a Toyota, and a Nissan.
I've spent a lot of time on Kelley Blue Book, trying to outline the pros and cons, get fair price estimates, etc. I believe I've narrowed it down to a final few. Keep in mind, I haven't driven any of them yet, so any information I have is gathered from other sources and my own observations.
KEY CONSIDERATIONS:
1. I need to stay under $16,000, but have seen a lot of options around the $13,000 mark which would be ideal. I've seen plenty of my favorite cars in this range, just depends on year and mileage.
2. I have fallen in love with and have focused largely on compact hatchbacks. I just love them.
3. I want a reliable car, the car I'm giving up is nearly 20 years old and going strong. I expect my new car to last far beyond the term of the loan.
4. Despite my draw to compact cars, I do appreciate a roomy interior.
5. I would like the standard upgrades such as power windows/locks/seats, cruise control, key-less entry.
6. I'd like a smooth, quiet drive.
NOT KEY CONSIDERATIONS:
1. I don't need, and probably wouldn't have the proper appreciation for, an especially powerful car, or above average handling/whateverothercarwordfitshere. This is why the Mazda's aren't on this list, even though they fit just about every other qualification.
2. Flash/splash isn't that important to me. Cute is a plus.
3. Leather seats/sports editions/navigation/luxury features. If I just-so-happen to find one, great, but definitely not a priority.
In no particular order. [I've been looking primarily at 2009-2012 models, but all the pricing information here is for 2012s. The actual car I end up with depends a lot on availability.]
HONDA FIT "The Fit is a tall car, with plenty of head and legroom for tall occupants. It has a versatile 5-door configuration, so larger items like bikes, skis or surfboards can easily fit in the Fit. The Honda Fit strikes a nice balance between fuel economy and driving fun. While there are only a handful of subcompacts to challenge the 2012 Honda Fit, few have the backing of one of the most trusted automotive companies in recent memory. Honda's 5-door Fit is more than just inexpensive transportation. It is frugal on fuel, big on comfort, has lots of cool features, and is darn cute to boot." PRICE: approx. $15-16,000
I have a bit of bias when it comes to Hondas... My Honda has been so good to me, and simply based on that, I trust the company, and the cars. The Fit would be a great choice, and if I can find one with my price range, I'd seriously seriously consider it. It is a bit on the higher end of my range, but I also think that comes with a very well-rounded car.
NISSAN VERSA "The Nissan Versa is the Toyota Camry of the subcompact segment: Boring but a best seller. Of course, boring cars are only boring to those looking to make a fashion statement or generate an adrenalin rush with their transportation – a minority group. To its many happy buyers, the Versa is the roomiest, most comfortable new car available in the neighborhood of $15,000. It's also easy around town and in parking lots, with light steering, a tight turning radius and good visibility... If you're more intrigued by the idea of a condensed version of a comfortable mid-size sedan, you'll like the Versa."
I actually really like the Versa. Jason has a Nissan, which he's very happy with, and I've heard a lot of good things. Most of the cars I've seen have been a bit less expensive than the Fit, and there are many more available. From what I've read, it's less powerful than the Fit (which isn't that important). I'd definitely want the SL rather than the base S model. I've seen both and I just like the look and feel of the higher class interior *duh*.
HYUNDAI ACCENT "The on-board fuel mileage readout continuously showed a reading between 40 and 41 mpg. Gas mileage aside, we also couldn't help but notice how quiet and stable the car is at speed. The transmission shifts smoothly and the engine responds quickly. We must say, though, that the Accent's driving dynamics are rather sedate. And, while this works well for some, it doesn't necessarily put the same kinds of smiles on our faces that the Fiesta and Fit do, because it lacks their sporty driving characteristics. While it doesn't have the same the funky, futuristic feel as the Honda Fit and Ford Fiesta, the 2012 Hyundai Accent does have a decidedly refined interior for a car in its class. Using bold shapes and semi-metallic finishes, the Accent's looks on the inside complement its looks on the outside rather handsomely." PRICE: approx $14-15,000
I actually haven't looked at any of these, but it kept coming up as a comparable for the other I was admiring. It seems like another solid choice. I've seen things such as 'arguably the best value,' which is a good sign. It's definitely affordable, and has a lot of what I've been looking for.
There are many more options in this category, such as the Toyota Yaris, Chevrolet Sonic, Kia Rio, Mazda3, Ford Fiesta, etc. I'm definitely not opposed to any of these, but for some reason the three I've detailed out have caught most of my attention. Perhaps because of the reliability of the companies, and the availability of the vehicles. Also, I'm getting too tired to map out anymore choices right now.
If you've made it this far and have any comments or suggestions, I'd love to hear them. Either comment here, or message me on face book. I trust consumers, and experiences!
No comments:
Post a Comment