Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Words.

I write a lot about how difficult my job is. Sorry. But it's only because there is not a day that goes by in which I am not overwhelmed, tired, exasperated, or even mad, defeated, and heartbroken.

I've mentioned it before: I am 'words of affirmation' feeler of love. Most of my days are spent hearing words that are anything but affirming. It's infinitely painful. 10 year olds definitely don't understand the power their words hold, and have no idea how sharp their words are, or how deep they cut.

"I hate you."
"I want to be out of this class."
"I can't wait until summer."
"I don't think you were meant to be a teacher."
etc. etc. etc.

These words are spat in my direction nearly everyday. Boy does it hurt.

I will forever be insecure, unsure, and impatient. Until and unless someone else tells me there is no reason to fret.

... and every once in awhile one of them will say or do something that, in one tiny moment, makes everything else okay. one note that says, 'thank you ms. hansen. i couldn't have done it without your help.' or even a simple simple, a hug, a 'thank you.'  means the world to me. the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment