Monday, August 22, 2011

"No love, no friendship, can cross the path of our destiny without leaving some mark on it forever."

I've had this thought multiple times in my life.

My life has been very easy. I've never had any big trials. Sure there have been ups and downs but I've been able to get through it all.

I think maybe, God decided that I will be tried through the experience of those closest to me. It seems like everyone I get close to is going through something very difficult: abuse physical/emotional/sexual, death of a family member/friend, depression and suicidal thoughts, eating disorders, divorce, etc.

It sounds like a heavy list when I write it like that...

I struggle to know what to say. I never know how to make it better, if I even can. It is so hard for me to watch these friends hurting without being able to do anything. I think one of my trials in life is to watch the people I love suffer.

I don't know if that makes any sense at all. But it's true. My best friends, boyfriends, everyone is/was going through something. And all of them needed a friend. I tried so hard to be there for them. I'm trying. But, I run out of words... "I'm so sorry" doesn't seem good enough.

God, please help me keep them safe. Make them whole. Keep him alive. ... if possible, let him smile.

I told my bestest today, "It's a really good feeling... to be someone's friend. To be able to honestly compliment them and lift them up. That's what God intended us to do, I think."

I was struck by my own insight. God wants us to love and be loved. To lift and help and praise and hope and pray and love.

I'm grateful for all the opportunities I have to do this. To be someone's friend. A friend is worth more than all the world.

A good friend.... more precious than life itself.

"I get by with a little help from my friends."
- John Lennon

1 comment: