Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Roller Coaster

Teaching is a roller coaster.

Ups and downs constantly.

Yesterday, we had a great morning! We were focused, on-task, and learning! ... then recess came and it was like all of my kids had consumed a large milkshake and a package of skittles. Jumping around the classroom, yelling, fighting, engaging in all manner of recklessness.

Today, the morning was rough... we just couldn't get in the swing of things. We had one incident coming in from recess, but then our afternoon was AWESOME! I absolutely love watching children learn. I got out my phone at the end of the lesson today as they were working independently, just to video tape their learning.  It's so empowering, and oh so motivating, to watch them light up as they figure it out. The genuine smiles on their faces when we have mini celebrations for problems solved, or difficulties overcome.








I think my kids are finally starting to know and understand what to expect from me. They know what I expect from them. They don't try to turn their work into my hand, or shove their work into my face if they have a question... because I've said 1,000,000 times to sit down, raise your hand, wait patiently, etc. We've still got a long way to go, but today I'm feeling hopeful.

All those pictures are from good days. I've also heard (many times) "I hate this class." "I am so sick of Ms. Hansen." and so on and so forth. Oh! and one day a student spent a solid 5 minutes writing as big as he could on his whiteboard 'Ms. Hansen is a mean teacher."

my job rocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment