I love to read. I always have.
During college reading for pleasure took a backseat to textbooks and jobs. But, I have decided in the last 8+ months that I love it SO much that I should allow myself time and energy to read the books I want to.
I started with Divergent, Insurgent, and Allegiant, by Veronica Roth.
Then I read the Heroes of Olympus series by Rick Riordan: The Lost Hero, The Son of Neptune, The Mark of Athena, and The House of Hades. Book five, The Blood of Olympus, comes out this October.
Then I read The Kane Chronicles by Rick Riordan: The Serpent's Shadow, The Throne of Fire, The Red Pyramid.
Then I read The Lost Gate and The Gate Thief by Orson Scott Card. And reread Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.
Then
Bossypants by Tina Fey
and
Dad is Fat by Jim Gaffigan
and
The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart
and
The Maze Runner by James Dashner.
Then it was December 31st and I was on Christmas Break and had a 20 hour drive from Idaho to Oklahoma. So, I read books. I haven't stopped since. Here are all the books I have read in 2014.
1. The 5th Wave - Rick Yancey
2. Looking for Alaska - John Green
3. Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? - Mindy Kaling
4. Eleanor & Park - Rainbow Rowell
5. A Long Way Down - Nick Hornby
6. The City of Ember - Jeanne Duprau
7. The People of Sparks - Jeanne Duprau
8. The Prophet of Yonwood - Jeanne Duprau
9. The Selection - Kiera Cass
10. The Elite - Kiera Cass
11. Perks of Being a Wallflower - Stephen Chbosky
12. An Abundance of Katherines - John Green
13. Timebound - Rysa Walker
14. The Magicians - Lev Grossman
I enjoyed most of these books... but I am a really BAD book critic. I love most books.
I read mostly Young Adult books.
Many have a fantasy influence (think Divergent). Magicians, Timebound, Jeanne Duprau's books, and 5th Wave are fantasy (not unicorns and dragons (um, Magicians is very Harry Potter/Narnia esque)... post-apocalyptic adventures in worlds similar to ours).
The John Green books, Eleanor & Park, and Wallflower are all YA books set in modern times. They follow young protagonists in their own versions of coming-of-age stories. There seems to be heavy drinking in most of those stories, but I didn't really feel like it tainted the stories despite my own avoidance of alcohol. I thought the lessons were profound and the novels engaging.
Read books. as many as you can.
That's all.
No comments:
Post a Comment