Tuesday, March 31, 2009

a MAJOR decision

So, lately I've been thinking a lot about what I want to major in. It's a big decision because a lot of time and effort goes into it and a lot comes out of it. It pretty much can and does affect the rest of my life. I've pretty much always been sure I would major in something in the business school... that's just the way my mind works. Analytically and in a structured fashion, but I don't like math and I am not particularly good at but I do have an educated grasp on mathematical concepts and ideas. Business suits this way of thinking so it seems like an obvious decision. Plus, I like new ideas and i like the idea of starting and running my own business, or at least being a major player in a business. But in general, business isn't exactly a FUN major... i mean it's enjoyable at times I guess but I think it would enjoy something like History or English more, they are just fun and appeal to my creative side. All of these thoughts are whirring around in my head. About the time I was leaving for school my dad brought up accounting... sounds super boring huh. But, I liked the idea of a major like that and the more I learned about the major and the career possibilities the more I liked it. Here at BYU the accounting program is a two year program that you apply to begin the fall of your junior year. During junior year you have what they call the 'junior core'. This means that you have a set of 3 class your fall semester and 3 classes your winter semester that you must take together and in those semesters. In fact, you just sign up for a section and you get all three classes together, with the same group of people. You work in groups of 5 in those three classes and it is a very integrated system. After junior year you finish out with the Management integrated core (a group of five classes that must all be taken together) and a few other random classes. The summer before your senior year most people work in an internship and most often that company (if you're good) will offer you a job for after you graduate. Typically you work for that company for a few year and certify as a CPA (Certified Public Accountant)... then can do whatever you want.
It probably sounds kinda confusing but I like the structured layout and the predictable nature of the major. But, it also has it's drawbacks. I am a semester of two ahead of the four year plan and if I was to major in something else, like Business Management, I could graduate as much as a year ahead. That would be pretty sweet, to just be done with school and on with my life. But, at the same time I'm not sure I'm ready to just be done. There is a lot of college left to be experienced. Plus, I think I could do more with an Accounting degree as a mother. And being a mother is my main goal in life and I'm not willing to give that up for ANYTHING!!! So, if I major in Accounting I can do taxes or whatnot from home and part time as I am being a mother.
Wow, I am quite excited about the prospects of having an Accounting degree, it is a major that will always have a job market, which is good to know in the current economy. I think it's a good decision and I hope that it will all work out. It will be very hard. Thats a definite fact... but I like hard things. I mean, only the hard things are worth doing, and I love the satisfaction and success that comes from doing something hard. We'll see how it all actually works out but it makes me excited and scared! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment