Friday, September 25, 2009

BYU Culture

Everyone knows that Mormons have a certain culture. Certain things that can only be found in Mormon communities. Well, BYU is the epitome of Mormon culture. There are many things that I could talk about concerning this. But my soapbox of the blog will be concerning ... dun dun dun... marriage.

If you have never been a student at BYU then you have NO idea what I'm talking. For many reasons.
(1) First of all, it is expected of every young woman to get married and have children
(2) It is expected that every young woman be married by 20 years old
(3) It is expected that every young woman be completely consumed and focus on finding her husband.

As a result, if you're 19 or 20 and single, you start to think something is wrong with you. Like for real. Professors, Bishops, EVERYONE is ALWAYS talking about marriage. There is no escaping it. (Except to get married)

I'm 19.5 years old. I'm single. I'm a FrEaK on this campus. lol. I swear.
That is how it feels, everyone is getting married. And I'm not. even. close.

I'm not the only one who feels unnecessarily pressured by this culture.

The AVERAGE woman in the United States gets married at 27.

The AVERAGE woman at BYU gets married at 20 (I'm guessing, but I'm pretty sure that thats true)

Its kinda ridiculous.

Just Saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment