Monday, April 18, 2011

Factor V

Remember that clotting dealio I mentioned the other day... turns out I have a mutation in the allele. It's called heterozygous Factor V Leiden. It's a "variant of human factor V that causes a hypercoagulability disorder." It's only a single mutation, not the double. I have a 4 to 8 times greater chance of getting a blood clot, deep vein thrombosis, or a pulmonary embolism (like the one I had about six months ago). If it was the double mutation I'd have a 80 times greater chance of clots. So one is definitely better than two... but I am at greater risk when I have surgery, or when I'm pregnant. It shouldn't be a big deal, it's been passed down to me from my parents (I think, I think that's how it works) and neither of they never had problems with it, and I haven't had problems thus far. So, hopefully it's not a big deal, just something I'll have to mention to all my doctors forever.


2 comments:

  1. A) I'm both sad/glad. Sad that you have the clotting mutation but glad its not a double one.

    B) You are so freaking hot. Just looked at all your hair pictures. Also, I need to give you your shirt back.

    C) You are the bestest. True Story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of it is an allele problem, then yes it is genetic!

    ReplyDelete