Friday, December 24, 2010

For the first time...

.... I had to call my parents at 12:00am and ask them to come pull me out of a snowbank on the side of the road.

I was going 50 mph (on a road where the speed limit is 50 mph) and this inconsiderate/unintelligent driver of a tan van pulled out in front of me... I was forced to slam on my breaks to avoid hitting the van, and as a result, caught a patch of ice and lost control of the car. I fishtailed for awhile and eventually turned all the way around and slid sideways off the road into the snow bank. I couldn't get out. I tried, but I was stuck! So I called my mom, freaked her out a little bit because I was a bit startled by the experience and didn't articulate to her that (a) I was okay and (b) that the car was fine.... I was just STUCK.

I was sitting there, on the side of the road, for a good 15-20 minutes while my parents drove out to rescue me. There was quite a bit of traffic at this time, I'm assuming because a lot of kids have curfew about 12:00 or 12:30 and out of the 10-15 cars that drove past me only two stopped to see if I needed help. Only two. I was a bit surprised at this. But I guess I'm not sure what I'd do if the situation were reversed. I was obviously unharmed, the car was fine and running and it was late. I don't think many young women would feel comfortable stopping alone, late at night, on a deserted corner.... but one young lady did and I thought that was awfully sweet; as did one young man. Thanks strangers, I appreciate your concern and willingness to help.

1 comment:

  1. ahhhhh I'm glad you are ok!!!! and so glad your car is ok too!!

    ReplyDelete