Sunday, December 4, 2011

Compliments

Yesterday I had a conversation with a boy.  We had just been on a date and were cuddled up on the couch watching Beauty and the Best (the original Disney version).  It was a great date and we both felt very comfortable and I knew he liked me.

We'd been joking around and then he gets serious and says, "I really like you, Jaraka."
Me: "Oh phew! Cuz otherwise I'd feel used."
Him: "There you go killing the moment again."
Me: "What do you mean?"
Him: "Everytime I compliment you, you make a joke about it or say something to lighten the situation."
Me: "Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't notice."

Conversation continued for awhile and then he says something about how much he enjoyed talking to me throughout the week; how nice it was to have someone who just made him happy and helped him get through a tough week.  Again I said something funny, taking the pressure off myself and turning the conversation to something else.

I didn't notice until after I had done that a couple times that it was quite a habit.

He asked, "Why can't you accept a compliment? You are killing all my moments."
Me: "Hummmm"
Him: "Just tell me."
So, I think... and think... and then it kinda clicks.
Me: "I think it's because I'm so used to guys telling me things that end up not being true, that is easier to just assume its not true from the get-go. Laugh it off."

It was such an eye-opening moment.  I never realized how difficult it was for me to accept compliments from boys.  But over and over and over again I came up with a reason to laugh it off. I couldn't accept the attention and the praise.

Weird.  But I'm grateful for him and his patience and his persistence. I think it will really help me to have someone around who will keep his promises and follow through.

It was just one date, but suddenly my eyes have been opened.

No comments:

Post a Comment