Thursday, December 22, 2011

Prayer

Two or three years ago I had a conversation with my mother about prayer.  I told her that I didn't think prayer worked.  I told her that I thought prayer was just an idea perpetuated by people who wanted to have control and influence over things they had no control over.  I told her that I didn't understand how my praying that my best friend would "feel loved and make good choices" had any influence whatsoever on her actual actions or thoughts. I told her that I didn't believe in prayer, that I wasn't going to pray anymore, and that I didn't want her to prayer for me.  
...
Last night I had a conversation with my mother about prayer (among other things). I told her that I knew Heavenly Father listens to my prayers.  I told her that I have seen and felt answers to my prayers and the prayers of others.  I told her that I was confident in my ability to make my own decisions because I know how to pray.  I told her that she could trust me and be comforted by the fact that I am doing/will do what I know to be right.  I told her that I have come to realize what it is to know something... beyond a shadow of a doubt.  

It struck us both at about the same time, the change and growth.
She said, "I'm glad you can look at it that way, from that perspective."
"Me too," I replied, "I haven't always."
"I know." She responded with tears in her eyes. 

1 comment: