Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Pornography Part 4: Stats and Gender Differences

A few weeks ago I posted about the differences in the pervasive nature of pornography (or sexually directed) pictures of men and women.  It's been on my mind a lot. I totally agree with every one who says that there is no moral difference.  It's absolutely inappropriate either way, and I think it's only fair that we give attention to the effect it can have on our male friends.

First, some numbers (I found these HERE (unless otherwise indicated)):
I think it may be a little outdated... sorry.


Adults admitting to Internet sexual addiction: 10%; 28% of those are women
More than 70% of men from 18 to 34 visit a pornographic site in a typical month
47% percent of families said pornography is a problem in their home 
The Internet was a significant factor in 2 out of 3 divorces

Pornography Time Statistics
Every second - $3,075.64 is being spent on pornography
Every second - 28,258 Internet users are viewing pornography
Every second - 372 Internet users are typing adult search terms into search engines
Every 39 minutes: a new pornographic video is being created in the United States

2006 Top Adult Search RequestsDemographics
Search Term
2006 Search Requests2006 % Change2005 % ChangeWeb Pages Containing Keyword (Millions)MaleFemale1818-2425-3435-4950+
75,608,6127%40%414.0050%50%20%20%20%20%20%
30,288,325622%80%1.4036%64%20%20%21%20%19%
13,684,71853%21%1.8258%42%20%19%23%21%17%
23,629,211-3%29%88.8096%4%23%14%10%36%17%
15,955,5664%1%2.6558%42%20%16%19%19%26%
13,982,72936%25%2.1044%56%22%19%19%22%18%
13,484,7690%20%2.4244%56%22%19%19%22%18%
13,362,995301%51%1.5836%64%19%21%21%20%19%
13,230,137382%40%0.2850%50%20%20%19%20%21%
12,964,65188%33%2.0750%50%20%20%20%20%20%
12,964,651-10%54%2.7497%3%22%14%10%35%19%
12,065,00025%14%181.0050%50%20%20%20%20%20%
11,861,03597%36%2.2150%50%20%20%20%20%20%
9,960,07476%21%2.9567%33%19%19%16%28%19%
8,502,524-20%3%1.2441%59%23%25%14%30%8%
7,411,22071%40%1.4464%37%17%19%26%27%11%
6,641,209-6%24%43.2086%14%10%33%25%25%7%
6,130,0657%38%1.9782%18%23%17%14%28%18%
5,487,925-26%14%71.3077%23%33%14%10%17%26%
4,344,92421%33%198.0050%50%20%20%20%20%20%

Internet Pornography Statistics
Pornographic websites4.2 million (12% of total websites)
Pornographic pages420 million
Daily pornographic search engine requests68 million (25% of total search engine requests)
Daily pornographic emails2.5 billion (8% of total emails)
Internet users who view porn42.7%
Received unwanted exposure to sexual material34%
Average daily pornographic emails/user4.5 per Internet user
Monthly Pornographic downloads (Peer-to-peer)1.5 billion (35% of all downloads)
Daily Gnutella "child pornography" requests116,000
Websites offering illegal child pornography100,000
Sexual solicitations of youth made in chat rooms89%
Youths who received sexual solicitation1 in 7 (down from 2003 stat of 1 in 3)
Worldwide visitors to pornographic web sites72 million visitors to pornography: Monthly
Internet Pornography Sales$4.9 billion

US Adult Internet User Demographics - Income

I still don't think it's the same.  I don't think the problem is the same.  I don't think the solution to the problems are the same.

I do think that men are more susceptible to the negative influence of pornography (72% of porn viewers are men)... men and women are different, and to say that the effect is the same would be scientifically incorrect. (See: THIS)  Society has made it more acceptable (and accessible) for women to watch pornography, and thus, I think there are more women engaging in this behavior. The number of women is increasing (an awful trend) but there are still more men than women, and I think this is demonstrative of the tragedy.  I think this simple fact shows that the effect is not the same, though it may be trending that way. The historically higher percentage of men engaging in the consumption of pornography indicates that men are, fundamentally, more susceptible to the stimulation of pornography.

Yes, some women do get conscious, persistent, sexual thoughts and feelings when viewing a picture of a shirtless man. But most don't. Yes, some men do not get conscious, persistent, sexual thoughts and feelings when viewing a pictures of a bikini-ed woman.  But most do.

Women keeping their cyber activities secret70%
Women struggling with pornography addiction17%
Ratio of women to men favoring chat rooms2X
Percentage of visitors to adult websites who are women1 in 3 visitors
Women accessing adult websites each month9.4 million
Women admitting to accessing pornography at work13%
Women, far more than men, are likely to act out their behaviors in real life, such as having multiple partners, casual sex, or affairs.

I also am aware that these statistics may be incorrect.  There is always room for self-reporting error; that women are more likely to lie about their activities than are men, as it is more "socially acceptable" for men to look at pornography.

I worry more for my little brother and the influence perfume commercials and PG-13 movies will have on his perception of women, than I do for my little sisters and the influence of the same perfume commercials and PG-13 movies will have on their perception of men.  I am not really worried about my little brother and the influence of the media on his perceptions of men, except in the way these men treat and view women.

But, honestly, my biggest worry of all is the magnitude of the influence the perfume commercials and PG-13 movies will have on my little sisters' perception of women... their perception of themselves.

When I'm watching football with my boyfriend there are 100s of very muscular, athletic men in tight pants doing very manly things (you know, running and throwing and hitting)... Whoop-dee-do.  But, when the camera pans to the sideline and there are ten beautiful women in tiny tops and even tinier shorts... I want to cover his eyes.

Am I wrong?

I also found these articles.

"What's a Woman to Do?"

"How Porn Destroys Lives"

"The Negative Effects of Porn"

No comments:

Post a Comment