Monday, November 28, 2011

Why are you joining TFA?

I have been doing a lot of reading about TFA and my future as a CM (corps member).  I have read a lot of positive, motivating things.  I have read a lot of depressing, disheartening things.  But, this blog: Out of the Blue has been a great source.  I found this particular post, which I am copying in part below, touched on a lot of what I feel about my decision to be a part of TFA.  I have deleted points that I don't particularly agree with, but you can read it in its entirety if you click the link I included above. I haven't taught yet, so I don't necessarily have these experiences, but I hope I will.  I think I will.


“Why are you {joining TFA}?”
... because so many my 8 year olds this summer didn’t believe me when I told them that they were smart. They got defensive and looked hurt when I implied that I believed they were intelligent. At age 8, they have internalized what society says must be true because of their races and incomes.
... because I never thought about what I “could” be when I grew up, but what I “wanted” to be.
...because, in my mind, freshman year of college was always the grade after 12th. Of course you go to college.
... because 75% of high-income individuals have attended a 4-year university by age 25, and only 9% of low-income individuals have by the same age. Being born poor doesn’t mean you are born stupid.
... because my idea of school not being safe growing up was bullies who might push me around in the locker room, while my kids’ idea of school not being safe is having to walk through gang territory to get there.
... because I never had to be considered stupid for speaking the language of my culture rather than of my teachers’ cultures.
... because no one ever assumed my parents didn’t care. The parents I met this summer all cared fiercely about their students, but because of their income and home language, people assumed they would be apathetic and uncaring about their kids.
... because I grew up thinking that reading and writing was fun, while my kids associate those things with failure, because all they’ve experienced is people telling them they aren’t good enough at them.
... because I was lucky enough to be born into a zip code and socieconomic bracket that afforded me success. I did not work for the blessing of having all doors opened to me; I was born into it. My hard work has kept those doors open, but from Day 1 I have had more opportunities in my future than most of the kids I {will teach} ever will, and that’s not their fault.
... because every child I have ever taken the time to really know has been amazing, regardless of their gender, race, socioeconomic background, or anything else.
... because my college was disgustingly homogeneous, and our country isn’t.
... because, at the end of the day, there is always more I could have done, and tomorrow gives me another chance.
... because TFA isn’t perfect, but the people in it are amazing, and only we can make it what it needs to be.
I’m a TFA CM because a year ago, I had never heard of the Achievement Gap.
...  because I need to be. I have to be. I’m here.

No comments:

Post a Comment