We, as human beings, judge one another all the time. We judge each other too much. One topic which has come up a time or two lately is that of one's choice of major.
Some people seem to think...
... business degrees are a dime a dozen.
... business students/professionals are culture-less drones.
... business classes lack the depth and value of *insert artsy major here*
... business students are solely money focus
... business programs do not add value to society and community
I'm here to tell you that those assumptions and judgments are incorrect.
The things I have learned in my business management classes have been very useful to me, my experiences very worthwhile. I think people fail to realize that business is central to the functionality of this country. I love my degree, and the things I learn everyday will help me in my future as a business woman/mother/teacher/community member/etc. Business classes have taught me a lot of things:
1. We learn about how to maximize value and minimize expense. We all seek to maximize the benefits of our work and our time. We all seek to maximize positives and minimize negatives.
2. We learn about the value of human capital and the power of an individual to add to the value of a company.
3. We learn about the effect our decisions have on those around us, consumers, and other stakeholders.
4. As for culture, weeks of my HR Mgmt. classes are spent talking about the cultures and the artifacts and values and stories of companies and the effect this has on the productivity and morale of employees.
5. We learn how to work together as teams. Communication, organization, understanding, flexibility, etc.
6. We learn how to be marketable employees. I have a slammin' resume, not solely because of my experiences, but because I know how to make it worthwhile to recruiters. I've seen so many BAD resumes and the fact that I know how to organize and word my resume has been one of the greatest benefits.
I love my business education. The learning experiences has been magnificent and the growth I have experienced, key to my self confidence.
I care about people. I care about humanity as a whole. Humanitarians, historians, sociologists, anthropologists, psychologists, biologists, and businessmen/women ALL study the human concept. I get tired of hearing that "I'm studying *sociology*psychology*biology* because I like learning about people." That's silly. If that's the only reason then you could have chosen any of the aforementioned degrees (and many more). I could say the same thing, "I am studying Human Resource Management because I like learning about people." But it's SO much more than that... you'd say the same thing about your degree. People make up so much of what is worthwhile in this world. This world was made for people. Everyone is studying people.
I have so much respect for all areas of study and scholarship. I would love to study history or literature. There is so much value in the study of those schools of thoughts.
Please think twice before you assume that a business students are money-hungry, soul-less drones. We're not. It's hurtful that my degree and my knowledge are so heartily despised. Think about it.
No comments:
Post a Comment