Sunday, January 8, 2012

Lying in bed, waiting to fall asleep. (Using the blogger app... excuse the excessive typos and lack of formating.)
I've been trying to define this concern I have with the media's portrayal of women. I think I'm beginning to understand why it bothers me so much. I simply don't like media which portrays women as purely sexual objects, as though that's all men want or can get from them. The sexual relationship is a fundamental and very fulfilling part of a relationship but it is hardly the proper foundation for any sort of commitment. I am all for smart, proud, sexy, classy, strong women: Covert Affairs. Bones. Castle. The romantic intrigue which the women often play into, or the fact that their co-workers find them attractive, doesn't bother me. They are so much more than that beauty or sex appeal.

I've become very sensitive to the content of media. Be it the entire plot, as in the How I Met Your Mother episode wherein Barney has his "playbook" for tricking women into sleeping with him (actually, Barney is 100% your stereotypical male chauvinistic pig), or simple statements or innuendos like when Victoria, Manny's mother in Modern Family, suspects her son is looking at pornography and want him to know "that he shouldn't be ashamed." There was an entire New Girl episode about pornography and how it's totally normal and acceptable; this episode, however, did attempt to portray the disconnect between pornography induced expectations and real life. Even The Big Bang Theory has been smattered with innuendo and the underlying premise of Penny's promiscuity.

I just get so tired of it. I can't watch a single episode of any show without some comment about sex, porn, or other sexual acts or behaviors. Can any of you recommend shows with morale premises?

1 comment:

  1. No, but if you find one please PLEASE let me know. Also if you ever need to talk about the way the world's view and acceptance of pornography is infuriating and hurtful, give me a call. Pornography really does destroy lives and marriages.

    ReplyDelete